The bulk of the material belonging to the Department of Chemistry has been inventoried and catalogued independently by Professor emeritus Dr. J. Bryan Jones. This catalogue may be viewed here. This collection consists of around 300 artifacts, dating from the whole history of the department, from around 1843. Typical objects include balances, polarimeters, calculating machines and a wide selection of glassware, some of which was made on site at the department glassblowers. Also included in this collection are items from the Department of Chemical Engineering, and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer probes dating from between the 1960s and the 1990s.
UTSIC does directly hold a number of objects that were acquired from the Department of Chemistry in the early 2000s. These consist mostly of chemical glassware, notably including several elaborate locally-made glass objects. Very little of this material has currently been catalogued.
Efforts will be made in the coming years to incorporate the material in the Department of Chemistry catalogue into the UTSIC catalogue, as well as to fully catalogue the UTSIC material. Some of the items are visible in displays in the Department of Chemistry library and hallways.
Chemistry Collection contact: Patricia Meindl, Chemistry Librarian firstname.lastname@example.org
UTSIC Collection: UTSIC@utoronto.ca
Last Updated: December 4, 2016 by E. Weidenhammer